Find out everything you need to know about hearing loss causes,
symptoms, and solutions.
Hearing Loss Causes: What’s the Underlying Cause of This Public Health Concern?
Hearing loss is on the rise, and the effects can be devastating. The most common causes of hearing loss include:
- Exposure to loud noise, especially over time.
- Trauma or injury, especially to the head.
- Diseases such as diabetes, otosclerosis and Meniere’s Disease.
- High blood pressure
- Stroke and circulatory issues
Here are some of our most popular articles on hearing loss causes and how to protect your hearing.
What Causes Hearing Loss?
From passing a construction site just as they start to jackhammer the cement floor to cranking up the Stones while listening with earbuds, loud noises are a known enemy of good hearing health. Yet hearing loss has been linked to other causes from diabetes to over-the-counter drugs. Hearing loss causes all sorts of havoc with your health.
- Medications That Contribute to Hearing Loss
- What is the Difference Between Conductive and Sensorineural Hearing Loss?
- What a 35-Inch Waist Does to Your Hearing
- Is Arguing Harming Your Hearing?
- Could Chemo Cause Hearing Problems?
What’s Causing the Growth in Hearing Loss?
Hearing loss is a growing public health concern, and it’s no longer considered a problem solely for the elderly. According to researchers, the number of adults over the age of 20 with hearing loss is expected to double by 2060. If the trends hold steady, more than 900 million will have some hearing loss by 2050. Even now, 1 in 5 adults report having either bi-lateral or single-sided hearing loss. Here’s how this breaks down across the population:
- Age is one of the strongest predictors of whether an adult will lose their hearing, especially in adults older than 60. 1
- Hearing loss among adolescents has grown 33 percent in the last few years. 2
- More than 1 billion people between 12 and 35 are at risk for hearing loss.
- Men are twice as likely to have hearing loss as women. 3
The Devastating Effects of Hearing Loss
Diminished hearing has been linked with cognitive decline, depression, an increase in accidents and other serious issues. Beyond that, losing your hearing may negatively affect your relationships and even your career prospects. Do you need to worry about hearing loss?
- Surprising Side-Effects of Hearing Loss
- The Lesser-Known Emotional Hardships of Hearing Loss
- Hearing Loss Can Cost More Than Your Health (Infographic)
Single-Sided Hearing Loss: When Should I Worry?
The most common causes of single-sided (or unilateral) hearing loss are temporary, such as an ear infection or injury, however some types are caused by Meniere’s disease. Regardless of what’s causing your hearing loss, you should never ignore it.
- Why Single-Sided Hearing Is a Symptom You Should Never Ignore
- Will I Get My Hearing Back after an Ear Infection?
- 5 Challenges You Didn’t Know People with Single-Sided Hearing Face
- Easy Tips for Living with Single-Sided Deafness
What’s the Best Hearing Protection?
One of the things hearing specialists find most frustrating about hearing loss is that it’s totally preventable. Taking care of your hearing goes hand-in-hand with taking care of your overall health. Here’s some advice on how to protect your hearing.
- Science Confirms These Vitamins Boost Hearing Health
- How Wearing Socks This Summer Could Help Prevent Hearing Loss
- Diabetic? Protect Your Hearing With These Tips
- Eat Broccoli and 5 Other Secrets to Preventing Hearing Loss
- Is there a Connection Between Brie and Hearing?
Exercises to Boost Your Hearing & Prevent Hearing Loss
- Noise Filtering Exercise
- Sound Location Exercise
- Sound Clues: Exercises to Recognize Unique Sounds
- Brain Teasers: Improving Mental Focus
Other Hearing Resources and Information
Our mission is to help you overcome or cope with hearing loss. We’re committed to bringing you the latest information on hearing health, breakthroughs on hearing loss, and new hearing technologies designed to make your life easier. We also have a directory of resources for hearing loss treatment. Explore the latest articles.
Find out how you can start enjoying the movies again, even if you suffer from hearing loss. Try this.
Diabetes has been known to cause a range of health complications, from foot to eyesight issues. Until now we didn’t know it did this.
Scientists have observed the changes that happen even with mild hearing loss. Here’s what they found.
Some hearing loss is permanent. Why risk it? Discover these five simple ways to protect your hearing.
New accessability-focused technology aims to give theater lovers with hearing impairments a new way to enjoy full immersion with the story on the stage.
Elton John is introducing new tech at his live concerts. This is why it will revolutionize the concert experience.
Hearing loss is a growing epidemic, even among the young. This is why.
Protect your ears by knowing what to look for when buying an over-the-counter hearing device.
Hearing loss can have very profound impacts on your relationships, turning everyday conversations into challenging interactions.
You always have to make sure your workout is safe, but have you considered how it could be impacting your hearing health?