Find out everything you need to know about hearing loss, causes, symptoms and solutions. Discover more about how hearing works, what type of hearing loss you may have and how the latest hearing technology could help you get more out of life!
Hearing Loss Causes: What’s the Underlying Cause of This Public Health Concern?
Hearing loss is on the rise, and the effects can be devastating. Here are some of our most popular articles on hearing loss causes and how to protect your hearing.
What Causes Hearing Loss?
From passing a construction site just as they start to jackhammer the cement floor to cranking up the Stones while listening with earbuds, loud noises are a known enemy of good hearing health. Yet hearing loss has been linked to other causes from diabetes to over-the-counter drugs.
- Medications That Contribute to Hearing Loss
- What is the Difference Between Conductive and Sensorineural Hearing Loss?
- What a 35-Inch Waist Does to Your Hearing
- Is Arguing Harming Your Hearing?
- Could Chemo Cause Hearing Problems?
What’s Causing the Growth in Hearing Loss?
Hearing loss is a growing public health concern. According to researchers, the number of adults over the age of 20 with hearing loss is expected to double by 2060. If the trends hold steady, more than 900 million will have some hearing loss by 2050. Even now, 1 in 5 adults report having either bi-lateral or single-sided hearing loss. Here’s how this breaks down across the population:
- Age is one of the strongest predictors of whether an adult will lose their hearing, especially in adults older than 60. 1
- Hearing loss among adolescents has grown 33 percent in the last few years. 2
- Men are twice as likely to have hearing loss as women. 3
The Devastating Effects of Hearing Loss
Diminished hearing has been linked with cognitive decline, depression, an increase in accidents and other serious issues. Beyond that, losing your hearing may negatively affect your relationships and even your career prospects.
- Surprising Side-Effects of Hearing Loss
- The Lesser-Known Emotional Hardships of Hearing Loss
- Hearing Loss Can Cost More Than Your Health (Infographic)
Single-Sided Hearing Loss: When Should I Worry?
The most common causes of single-sided (or unilateral) hearing loss are temporary, such as an ear infection or injury, however some types are caused by Meniere’s disease. Regardless of what’s causing your hearing loss, you should never ignore it.
- Why Single-Sided Hearing Is a Symptom You Should Never Ignore
- Will I Get My Hearing Back after an Ear Infection?
- 5 Challenges You Didn’t Know People with Single-Sided Hearing Face
- Easy Tips for Living with Single-Sided Deafness
How to Protect Your Hearing Health
One of the things hearing specialists find most frustrating about hearing loss is that it’s totally preventable. Taking care of your hearing goes hand-in-hand with taking care of your overall health. Here’s some advice on how to protect your hearing.
- Science Confirms These Vitamins Boost Hearing Health
- How Wearing Socks This Summer Could Help Prevent Hearing Loss
- Diabetic? Protect Your Hearing With These Tips
- Eat Broccoli and 5 Other Secrets to Preventing Hearing Loss
- Is there a Connection Between Brie and Hearing?
Exercises to Boost Your Hearing & Prevent Hearing Loss
- Noise Filtering Exercise
- Sound Location Exercise
- Sound Clues: Exercises to Recognize Unique Sounds
- Brain Teasers: Improving Mental Focus
Other Hearing Resources and Information
Our mission is to help you overcome or cope with hearing loss. We’re committed to bringing you the latest information on hearing health, breakthroughs on hearing loss, and new hearing technologies designed to make your life easier. We also have a directory of resources for hearing loss treatment. Explore the latest articles.
Over a lifetime, healthcare costs take a chunk out of your budget. See how ignoring this one thing could increase costs by 40% in just a few years.
Could this increased risk to professional musicians cause deafening silence? Learn about the real hearing loss risks for musicians.
Are you wearing your earplugs correctly? Make sure you’re really protecting your hearing and not following these 6 misconceptions about hearing protection.
Could regrowing hair here restore hearing? Scientists turn to the animal kingdom for clues on potential new ways to treat hearing loss
Want to recover up to 75% of cognitive decline & slow dementia? Research reveals 3 things you can do to stay mentally fit.
What can we learn from the chinchilla? Advanced sound-visualization technology used on chinchillas could revolutionize how hearing professionals treat hearing loss.
From tinnitus medications to over-the-counter meds that can harm your hearing, we cover everything you need to know to protect your hearing.
The more you know about your hearing health, the better able you are to understand and talk to your doctor.
Struggling to hear after an ear infection? Signs hearing loss after an infection is more than just congestion clearing up.
Single-sided deafness complicating your life? Here are 7 tips to help you hear better at work, home, and with friends.