Find out everything you need to know about hearing loss, causes, symptoms and solutions. Discover more about how hearing works, what type of hearing loss you may have and how the latest hearing technology could help you get more out of life!
Hearing Loss Causes: What’s the Underlying Cause of This Public Health Concern?
Hearing loss is on the rise, and the effects can be devastating. Here are some of our most popular articles on hearing loss causes and how to protect your hearing.
What Causes Hearing Loss?
From passing a construction site just as they start to jackhammer the cement floor to cranking up the Stones while listening with earbuds, loud noises are a known enemy of good hearing health. Yet hearing loss has been linked to other causes from diabetes to over-the-counter drugs.
- Medications That Contribute to Hearing Loss
- What is the Difference Between Conductive and Sensorineural Hearing Loss?
- What a 35-Inch Waist Does to Your Hearing
- Is Arguing Harming Your Hearing?
- Could Chemo Cause Hearing Problems?
What’s Causing the Growth in Hearing Loss?
Hearing loss is a growing public health concern. According to researchers, the number of adults over the age of 20 with hearing loss is expected to double by 2060. If the trends hold steady, more than 900 million will have some hearing loss by 2050. Even now, 1 in 5 adults report having either bi-lateral or single-sided hearing loss. Here’s how this breaks down across the population:
- Age is one of the strongest predictors of whether an adult will lose their hearing, especially in adults older than 60. 1
- Hearing loss among adolescents has grown 33 percent in the last few years. 2
- Men are twice as likely to have hearing loss as women. 3
The Devastating Effects of Hearing Loss
Diminished hearing has been linked with cognitive decline, depression, an increase in accidents and other serious issues. Beyond that, losing your hearing may negatively affect your relationships and even your career prospects.
- Surprising Side-Effects of Hearing Loss
- The Lesser-Known Emotional Hardships of Hearing Loss
- Hearing Loss Can Cost More Than Your Health (Infographic)
Single-Sided Hearing Loss: When Should I Worry?
The most common causes of single-sided (or unilateral) hearing loss are temporary, such as an ear infection or injury, however some types are caused by Meniere’s disease. Regardless of what’s causing your hearing loss, you should never ignore it.
- Why Single-Sided Hearing Is a Symptom You Should Never Ignore
- Will I Get My Hearing Back after an Ear Infection?
- 5 Challenges You Didn’t Know People with Single-Sided Hearing Face
- Easy Tips for Living with Single-Sided Deafness
How to Protect Your Hearing Health
One of the things hearing specialists find most frustrating about hearing loss is that it’s totally preventable. Taking care of your hearing goes hand-in-hand with taking care of your overall health. Here’s some advice on how to protect your hearing.
- Science Confirms These Vitamins Boost Hearing Health
- How Wearing Socks This Summer Could Help Prevent Hearing Loss
- Diabetic? Protect Your Hearing With These Tips
- Eat Broccoli and 5 Other Secrets to Preventing Hearing Loss
- Is there a Connection Between Brie and Hearing?
Exercises to Boost Your Hearing & Prevent Hearing Loss
- Noise Filtering Exercise
- Sound Location Exercise
- Sound Clues: Exercises to Recognize Unique Sounds
- Brain Teasers: Improving Mental Focus
Other Hearing Resources and Information
Our mission is to help you overcome or cope with hearing loss. We’re committed to bringing you the latest information on hearing health, breakthroughs on hearing loss, and new hearing technologies designed to make your life easier. We also have a directory of resources for hearing loss treatment. Explore the latest articles.
Is worsening hearing loss an inevitability as you age? No. New study show that this vitamin combo may significantly slow progression.
Are you living with someone struggling to hear? Don’t let it strain your relationship. Here are 5 tips to living more happily with someone who has hearing loss.
Autumn has unique challenges in terms of protecting your hearing. Here are some tips to prevent hearing loss in the fall.
Constantly asking your friends to repeat themselves? Why you still can’t hear when someone speaks louder and what to do about it.
New research into the connection between brain activity and hearing may yield new solutions to hearing loss.
Are you experiencing one-sided hearing loss? Find out why waiting to get treatment could be a very regrettable mistake.
You know the risks of being a first responder. Or do you? These 5 hidden costs of doing a job you love may surprise you.
If you’ve been putting off a better diet or exercise, you may be harming your hearing. Learn more and protect your quality of life.
Trouble hearing in one ear? Here’s why you shouldn’t ignore single-sided hearing loss. Take a look at these clever and effective ways to treat it.
Can hearing loss really cause dementia or land you in the ER? Here are some startling side effects of hearing loss.